This site uses technical, analytics and third-party cookies.
By continuing to browse, you accept the use of cookies.

Preferences cookies

Driving licenses

Fax simile patente italiana

Driving in Queensland with an Italian license and license conversion

It is possible to drive in Queensland with an Italian license, preferably with a certified translation into English, if you do not have an Australian residency visa. If you hold a “resident visa” and reside in Queensland, you must request the conversion of your Italian driving license into a Queensland driving license.

The Consulate offers the driving license translation service upon reservation.

 The reference pages of the Queensland Department of Transportation and Main Roads for more detailed information are listed below:

Driving with an Italian license

Driving in Queensland on an interstate or overseas licence | Transport and motoring | Queensland Government (

License’s conversion

Transferring to a Queensland licence | Transport and motoring | Queensland Government (

Expired or expiring driving license – Extension of validity

A.I.R.E. citizens and temporary residents in QLD and NT for at least 6 months, can obtain a document, called confirmation of validity, which allows the holder to drive in Australia, or in Italy even with a license that has expired no more than 5 years ago, or in any case expiring , in this case only for the period strictly necessary to obtain a new license.

To obtain this service, you must book an appointment through this link and submit:

• a medical certificate issued no more than 3 months ago by the Consulate’s physicians

• a proof of residence in QLD or NT (rental agreement, bank document, utility bill, etc.)

• 2 passport-sized photographs

• your Italian driving license expired or expiring (max. 4 months before) in original.

The confirmation of validity is absolutely not to be considered a renewal of the license. In fact, as soon as the applicant returns to Italy, even temporarily, he is required to immediately contact the competent office of “Motorizzazione Civile” or a driving school to obtain a new license. Furthermore, we specify that the international driving license cannot be renewed or extended by the consular authorities.

Loss, theft, duplicate request

In case of loss, theft or need for a duplicate of your Italian driving license, please contact the Italian  office of “Motorizzazione Civile” that issued it or a trusted car registration agency or driving school in Italy to obtain a replacement. The Consulate, where necessary, can assist with a photography and signature’s delegation and authentication service. For this service, please book a specific appointment through this link and submit:

– the loss/theft report made at the Australian competent authorities

– 4 passport size photos

– your passport

– copy of ID of any person delegated in Italy